I am satisfied with my spouse –
“Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.” Genesis 2:22-24
Other translations state that Adam exclaimed “At last!” or “Finally!” He was thrilled with what God had given him. He wasn’t even focused on what Eve looked like or what she sounded like. He just knew that God had provided someone for him that was perfect for him. Not because she was perfect but because God is perfect.
Dennis Rainey states that “Adam’s focus was on God’s flawless character, not on Eve’s performance.” God doesn’t make mistakes. Accepting your mate for who they are, what they look like, their strengths and their weaknesses, is a continual process. It never ends. Because…we are constantly changing.
Mark Driscoll righty says that “your spouse is your standard of beauty.” If your wife is heavy set – you like heavy set women. If your husband is balding – you like balding men. We do ourselves and our marriage an incredible disservice when we set our spouses up against the unreachable and unrealistic expectations that Hollywood presents to us. I’m sure by now we’ve all seen the video with the girl going from absolutely no hair and make-up on to being all glammed up. Or the magazine covers of stars without their make-up on. There is no one on TV, movies, magazines who looks like they look in real life. It takes a team of hair stylists, make-up artists and trainers to make them look that good every day.
And should we talk about the P word for a moment? Porn. Clint was talking with a pastor once who stated that 99% of all men have viewed porn at some time. The other 1% are lying. And frankly, women are getting right up there. Last study I reviewed said 30% of all women were addicted to pornography. It changes who you are. It changes how you view your spouse. It distorts your ability to see who they really are. It actually affects your ability to be the lover that your spouse deserves. Your spouse will never be able to compete with that. And you will never be fulfilled or satisfied by it.
Satisfaction comes in seeing your spouse for who they are, right now, today and saying to God, “At last! Finally!” and making your spouse your standard of beauty and satisfaction. Because He doesn’t make mistakes.
So, this week join us in declaring that “I am satisfied with my spouse!”
We are linking up with other fantastic bloggers here!